Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
Good for a home cooked gathering or holiday side dish. Southern fare from the cookbook Turnip Greens in the Bathtub. May be frozen prior to baking.
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup margarine, plus
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Boil water for potatoes, add potatoes and cook for 20 minutes.
- Drain, cool and peel potatoes.
- Grate potatoes, placing them in buttered 9 x 14-inch casserole.
- Make the following sauce to pour over them:.
- Sauce:Saute onions in 1/4 cup margarine.
- Add sour cream and shredded cheese to melt.
- Add other ingredients.
- Heat thoroughly and pour over cooked and grated potatoes.
- Dot with 2 tablespoons margarine.
- Bake 35 minutes in 350 degree oven.
Very good potatoes!!! I made these using refrigerated hashbrowns (already cooked and grated) so made this recipe much easier!! We make a recipe very similar to this but it also uses cream of chicken soup and then some crushed cornflakes on top, which my family said they still prefer. This was very similar but not as creamy/crunchy if that makes sense, still a great recipe especially if I didn't have those ingredients on hand. I did like the addition of the salt and pepper to the potatoes for more seasoning!! Made for Spring PAC 09!!