Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe originally came from a Junior League of Atlanta cookbook, so I understand. I can enjoy these as a complete meal - you KNOW how we GRITS love our grits!!
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped ham
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 small green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked white grits
- 8 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- Fry bacon, drain and set aside.
- Saute ham in bacon grease about ten minutes. Add onions and peppers to ham, and sauté ten more minutes.
- Cook grits according to package directions.
- Stir ham, onions and peppers into grits.
- Toss tomatoes with grits mixture. Crumble bacon over top and serve immediately. Serve hot.
- Do not add bacon and tomatoes until time to serve the grits.
Wineaux, I have had these grits at a diner in Pensacola. They are fantastic! I tried to duplicate the recipe because I could not find it. We use chicken broth instead of water to cook the grits and finish it off with grated Parmesan. Thanks so much for posting. This is such a great side dish to poached eggs! Update: And as of tonight, it's also a great side dish for roasted chicken.