Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I just returned from 3 weeks in Indonesia where I took a culinary course in Yogyakarta. This is one of the dishes I learned to make. I had previously made Nasi Kuning with a mix but this is MUCH better.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup coconut milk
- 2 inches piece fresh lemongrass
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Smash the lemongrass with the edge of knife to release aroma.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a sauce pan.
- Set on stove until it begins to boil.
- Turn heat to low. Cover and cook until rice is done and the water is absorbed.
- Removed bay leaves and lemon grass before serving.
Nasi Kuning can be made in many different ways with more or less spices. This was very nice, fragrant, spicy but not too hot, creamy yet not mushy. Well worth making. Thanks for posting.