Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My boyfriend grew up as an expat in Indonesia and passed along this recipe to me. The fried egg on top with a runny yolk really makes it special. This recipe is very modifiable with what vegetables you want to put in, only the sauces, onions, garlic and chili are essential to the taste! For twice the amount, doubling all the portions works just fine! Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green chili pepper, chopped
- 1 small carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 2 tablespoons ketjap manis (sweet soy sauce, found in asian food stores)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (can use paste, or cut a half a tomato and fry into a pasty or sauce type thing)
- 1⁄4 cucumber, sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1. Cook the rice in your preferred method.
- 2. Heat the oil in a wok, and cook the onion, garlic, and green chile until tender. Mix in the carrot and celery. Stir in the rice (Don't put it in all at once, the rice can get mushy, put in a 1/3 at a time).
- 3. Mix in kecap manis, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Continue cooking about 1 minute, until heated through. Transfer to bowls, and garnish with cucumber slices.
- 4. Fry the eggs individually, leaving the yolks runny and serve over top of each portion of rice.
We loved this dish. I remember eating a version of this in Bali and this is as good as I remember. Thanks for posting! K9 Owned/Lesley