Recipe by PaulaG
This recipe is one of my adopted recipes. I finally made it and it is really a full flavored dish. It does require a lot of prep but is so worth it. The intro from the psoting chef: "This is one of the most popular and well known Indonesian rice dishes. I have tried many versions and I always come back to this one. Chicken can be substituted for the shrimp."
- 4 slice bacon
- 236.59 ml red onion, finely diced
- 118.29 ml celery, finely diced
- 118.29 ml green onion, finely diced
- 59.16 ml grated carrots
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 236.59 ml mushroom, chopped
- 29.58 ml soy sauce
- 29.58 ml fish sauce
- 29.58 ml catsup
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 9.85 ml crushed coriander seeds
- 4.92 ml white pepper
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 9.85 ml sambal oelek
- 236.59 ml basmati rice (Can be done a day ahead) or 236.59 ml jasmine rice, cooked and cooled (Can be done a day ahead)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 59.14 ml cilantro, chopped
- 453.59 g shrimp, peeled and deveined or 453.59 g boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute bacon, crumble and set aside.
- To reserved bacon fat, add red onion, celery, green onions, carrot, garlic and mushrooms- saute until tender.
- Add soy sauce, fish sauce, catsup, brown sugar, coriander seeds, white pepper, curry powder and sambal oelek- saute 1-2 minutes to let flavors develop.
- Mix in cooled cooked rice- put pan aside and keep warm.
- In another pan saute shrimp in 1 tbl oil, salt and pepper to taste, mix into rice.
- In the same pan, add 1 tbl oil, add beaten eggs and cook to desired degree of doneness, Turn out egg like a crepe, cut into thin strips and reserve.
- Heat rice mixture through, mixing until sufficiently hot, put rice on plates, sprinkle with bacon bits, green onion, cilantro and egg strips.