1/1 Photo of Nasi Goreng
Pete Flannery #2's Note:
This recipe was brought back from Singapore when my parents were there in the 1950's. i have tried other versions both commercial and at home, and still rate this the best.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 pint basmati rice
- 1 1/2 pints boiling water
- 3 onions, chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 4 dried chilies, chopped (roughly one per person)
- 3 -4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seed
- prawns or shrimp (according to how much you like them)
- butter or olive oil or other flavoured oil
- 2 eggs, omelette (optional)
- sliced cucumber (optional)
- tomato (optional)
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, or mixed butter and oil in a saucepan, add the rice and stir until all grains are coated and transparent.
- 2Crumble the stock cube into the water, stir to dissolve it and add to the rice.
- 3Bring to a vigorous boil.
- 4Stir, cover with a lid; turn off the heat and leave to stand for 12 minutes, then drain, loosen with a fork and leave to cool.
- 5Fry the onion, garlic and chillies until onions are softened and transparent, put aside.
- 6Using a wok (ideally), heat a generous quantity of oil until its just beginning to smoke, swirl around the wok so the sides are coated.
- 7Add coriander, meat and salt, fry for about five minutes turning regularly.
- 8Add the onion mixture and mix well together over the heat until all are cooked.
- 9Reduce the heat, add the rice and fry, turning continually for about five minutes, then add the prawns and allow to heat through.
- 10Make an omelette and break it into the mixture before serving.
- 11Serve with a side dish of tomatoes and cucumber.
- 12Soy sauce adds to the flavour when served.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nasi Goreng
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 482.7
- Calories from Fat 111
- Total Fat 12.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.7 mg
- Sodium 370.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 29.4 g