Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
A traditional Indonesian rice dish with prawns and beef. The subtle flavors are delightful and authentic and the dried shrimp paste or 'trasi' as it is known locally gives it the unique flavor of Indonesia This recipe was given to me by an old friend who is Dutch/Indonesian.
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 200 g raw prawns, shelled
- 200 g rump steak
- 2 medium onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon shrimp paste, dried (trasi)
- 4 cups rice, cooked
- 6 spring onions
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce (Not Japanese)
- 3 tablespoons onion flakes, crisp fried
- 1 cucumber
- Beat egg, season and in a little oil make an omelette. cool and cut into strips and set aside.
- Slice the beef very thin, and cut the prawns in half if they are large.
- Chop onions as fine as possible, crush the garlic and add to the onions, place the trasi in a small cup and add a real tiny amount of hot water to get t.
- it to melt, stir and add to the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in either a frypan or wok and fry the onion mixture until its cooked, add the prawns and meat to the pan and continue to stir.
- Stir in the cooked rice, spring onions stir constantly until its very hot, sprinkle on the soya sauce, adding more if necessary.
- serve the rice, garnished with the onion flakes and slices of cucumber.
- Can be made ahead for buffets or even Barbecues and heated in the microwave. Delicious hot or cold.