Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
A marvelous way to use up leftover rice, chicken and other meat or seafood. Garnish with celery leaves, deep-fried onions and coriander sprigs.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry weight basmati rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 7 tablespoons oil
- 225 g pork fillets or 225 g filet of beef
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 1⁄2 inch cube shrimp paste
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup prawns, cooked and peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce or 3 -4 tablespoons ketchup
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Separate the grains of the cooked and cooled rice with a fork. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Beat the eggs with the water and season lightly. Make two or three thin omelettes in a frying pan, with a minimum of oil and leave to cool. When cold, roll up each omelette and cut into strips. Set aside.
- Cut the pork or beef fillet into neat strips. Finely shred one of the chillies and set aside.
- Put the terasi, with the remaining chili, the garlic and onion, in a food processor, or use a pestle and mortar, and grind to a fine paste.
- Heat teh remaining oil in a wok and fry the paste, without browning, until it gives off a rich, spicy aroma. Add the pork or beef, tossing the meat all the time, to seal in the juices. Cook for 2 minutes and then stir in the chicken, cold rice, dark soy sauce or ketchup and season to taste. Stir all the time to keep the rice light anf fluffy and to prevent it from sticking.
- Turn onto a hot serving plate and garnish with the omelette strips, celery leaves, onions, reserved shredded chilli and the coriander sprigs.