1/1 Photo of Nasi Biryani - Celebration Rice (Brunei)
This recipe was featured on week 39 of my food blog, "Travel by Stove." I am attempting to cook one meal from every nation on Earth, and Brunei is my 39th stop. Unless otherwise noted, my Travel by Stove recipes are taken from authentic or traditional sources, and this recipe has been posted without any alternations or additions to the ingredients. This recipe originally appeared in "Southeast Asian Cooking" by Barbara Hansen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots
- 1/4 cup minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced gingerroot
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups long grain rice
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 small tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon almonds, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cashews, chopped
- 1/2 small fresh red chili pepper
- 1Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large pot and fry the sliced shallots until golden, then remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels, leaving the oil in the pot.
- 2Add the minced shallots, ginger and garlic. Saute for two minutes or until fragrant.
- 3Add the water and bring to a boil, then add the rice and yogurt. Stir until well blended.
- 4Now add the tomato, cilantro, nuts and chile. Return to a boil, then cover and simmer over a very low flame for 40 minutes or until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- 5Garnish with the fried shallots.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nasi Biryani - Celebration Rice (Brunei)
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 216.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 1.3 mg
- Sodium 606.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g