Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Thai-Style Spicy-and-Sour Chicken Soup. Perfumed with lemongrass and lime leaves and sparked with chilies, it's quick to make and a great starter for almost any meal. It also just might be one of the best-tasting cold cures around.
- 4 cups low-fat chicken broth
- 1 stalk lemongrass, stalk crushed
- 8 ounces canned straw mushrooms, drained
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into thin slices
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, plus
- fresh cilantro stem, to garnish
- 1 tomatoes
- 1 -4 Thai red chili pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons thai red chili paste (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, bring the chicken stock or broth to a boil.
- Add the lemongrass, mushrooms, and lime leaves and immediately reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5 minutes, or until just opaque thoughout.
- Stir in the fish sauce and lime juice.
- Remove the lemongrass and lime leaves.
- Stir in the green onion, chopped cilantro, chilies, tomatoes and chili paste.
- Serve at once in deep soup bowls, garnished with cilantro sprigs.
This is both the easiest soup to make and the most delicious soup in the world! I subbed some ingredients (fresh mushrooms, water for stock, frozen shrimp for chicken) and added frozen sliced galangal. I followed the instructions exactly though. It came out phenomenal! Thanks!