1/1 Photo of Napoleon's Hat Cookies (Napoleonshatte)
These cookies are a stable at any Danish baker's shop. We always make these as part of our Christmas cookie selection. They are small and yummy. If you can you should weigh the ingredients instead of using cups, as the original recipe is measured by weight. Prep time does not include 30 min for cooling of the dough. When buying the marzipan try to look for Danish 'Odense' marzipan in your baking isle. Marzipan from other countries, such as Germany, tend to be sweeter than the ones from Denmark. The marzipan makes the difference in this cookie and adds to the wow factor. You can also make 20 larger hats instead of 40 mini
My Private Note
small h ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix together flour and shifted icing sugar.
- 2Cut the butter in small pices and cut it into the flour/sugar mix until the texture is coarse.
- 3Add the egg yolk and water and quickly work the dough together.
- 4Place the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minute.
- 5Roll the marzipan into 40 small balls, set aside.
- 6Heat oven to 400°F.
- 7Roll out the cold dough on a workspace dusted with flour until the dough is very thin (0.1 inch). It should be as thin as possible without breaking.
- 8Use a cup or round cookie cutter with 2 inch diameter and cut out 40 round cookies. Gather and roll out cookie dough repeatedly as you go along to use up all dough.
- 9Place one marzipan roll in the middle of each round cookie.
- 10Gather the round cookie dough with three fingers and press around the marzipan ball; the form of the cookie should now look like Napoleon's hat (3 flaps sticking out).
- 11Place the 'hats' on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 min until sligtly golden.
- 12Let cool.
- 13Melt chocolate over a double boiler and dip the three flaps of the hat in the chocolate.
- 14Cool and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Napoleon's Hat Cookies (Napoleonshatte)
Serving Size: 1 (8 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 38.1
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 10.0 mg
- Sodium 14.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 0.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: