Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are very special and wonderful, but very time consuming, Good Luck!! Have not entered cook time or prep time, it is as long as it takes!! (posted by request)
- 1 frozen puff pastry
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cream, scalded
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup blanched chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine (or rum or other flavour) (optional)
Fluffy Strawberry Sauce
- 2 cups strawberries, preferably fresh but frozen is ok
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Puff Pastry-------------------.
- Roll the paste 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut it into 2 x 4 inch strips.
- Prick them with a fork.
- Place them on 2 layers of heavy brown paper on a sheet or in a pan.
- Chill them thoroughly.
- Bake them in a hot oven, 500°F for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat by 50°F, every 5 minutes until the temperature is 350°F and bake for about 10 minutes longer.
- Cool the cakes.
- Split them lengthwise into halves.
- Fill them with custard filling.
- Serve them with Fluffy Strawberry sauce drizzled over (other fruit sauce can be substituted.)
- Do as many layers as you wish.
- Usually 3 pastry and two filling, start with pastry, filling, pastry, filling, and top with pastry.
- Then the drizzle.
- The easiest way is with just pastry on bottom, filling, and pastry on top with the drizzle.
- If wished, whipped cream may be added to top it off.
- Custard filling--------------------.
- Combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Add the scalded cream and stir until smooth and thick.
- Slightly beat the egg and yolks in the top of a double boiler.
- Pour the cream mixture over the egg mixture, cook and stir the custard "over" hot water, not in, until the eggs thicken.
- Let it cool, then add the vanilla and if using the almonds and sherry or rum.
- Fluffy Strawberry Sauce----------------.
- Hull and mash the strawberries.
- Add the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- In another bowl, whip until stiff the egg white and salt.
- Add the egg mixture to the strawberry mixture and whip the sauce until it is light and fluffy.