Recipe by Olha
This delicious torte takes some time to assemble, but it is well worth the effort. For a variety you may add chopped fresh fruit or berries, melted chocolate, or chopped nuts may be added to the fillings. This recipe is baked in Ukraine too.
Top Review by palkmae
This torte is soo delicious! I made it for New Year's Eve dinner. I used only Filling 1 recipe for my torte. It didn't thicken but I suppose that was mostly my fault as I didn't cook it long enough. So I put the mixture in a saucepan and cooked it until it became thick. For my second filling, I just used condensed milk (400 gms) and butter (200g) as suggested by my husband from the Russian sites that he checked. Also, I felt there's too much egg yolks and I wouldn't know what to do with the whites I would be left with. After assembling, I covered the torte with crumbs and almond slivers. By the way, after assembling, the cake should be allowed to rest at room temperature for 7 - 8 hours (or overnight) so that the cake layers will absorb the cream and soften. I placed mine directly in the fridge and I ended up with a hard cake. We then left it out and it eventually softened.
- 1 lb butter, softened
- 4 cups flour
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk, scalded
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 6 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 lb butter, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- To make pastry, cut butter into flour until crumbly and blend in sour cream.
- Form dough into 10 balls.
- Cover each with wax paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Allow dough to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, then roll each ball into a wafer thin circle on a lightly floured board.
- Prick all over and bake at 350 degrees F.
- for 7 to 10 minutes.
- To make filling# 1--Mix together sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler.
- Gradually add hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour a small amount over egg yolks, mix thoroughly and pour back into hot mixture.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Cool, then add vanilla.
- To make filling# 2--Pour milk into top of double boiler and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened- about 30 minutes.
- Add egg yolks slowly in a thin stream, stirring constantly.
- Add vanilla.
- Cook and stir for 10 minutes.
- Beat butter until fluffy, then slowly beat in chilled milk mixture.
- TO ASSEMBLE TORTE: Place one layer of pastry on a platter and spread with either filling.
- Continue stacking, alternating fillings, until 1 layer of pastry remains.
- Frost top and sides with remaining filling.
- Crush remaining pastry layer and cover torte with crumbs.
- Refrigerate for several hours.
- Serves 30.