Recipe by Jostlori
This is an easy to make tropical dessert that is company worthy AND delicious. Much of the work can be done in advance, leaving only the assembly right before it's served to your company's ooh's and ahh's! Have served this many a time on Caribbean vacations as it requires no special equipment or cooking tools to prepare and you've likely got the fruit growing right in your backyard!
FOR THE CUSTARD CREAM
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or raw sugar)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp.cruzan dark rum
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream, whipped
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed (about 9-inch square)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 1 lime, juice of
- 3 bananas (ripe, but firm)
- 1 large mango (ripe, but firm)
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
Directions See How It's Made
- CUSTARD CREAM:.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, salt, and half of the granulated sugar until the sugar dissolves. Whisk in the flour.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, rum and the remaining sugar. Scrape the vanilla seeds from the split pod into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
- Slowly pour half of the hot mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly so the eggs don't cook.
- Reduce the heat to medium and pour the tempered egg mixture back into the saucepan, whisking constantly. Continue to whisk until the cream comes to a boil and thickens, about 1 or 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the butter, whisk until melted and combined. Pour into a bowl, put plastic wrap on surface of cream, then refrigerate until ready to assemble.
- When ready to assemble, fold the WHIPPED cream into the custard cream.
- FOR THE PASTY & FILLING:.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cut the pastry sheet into nine 3 inch squares. Prick each piece with a fork about 10-15 times to keep dough from rising too much when baked. Place on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown - about 20-25 minutes.
- Carefully slice each square horizontally into two layers. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter, lime juice and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring. Pour into a medium bowl.
- Peel the bananas then quarter them by cutting in half crosswise, then again lengthwise. Peel the mango and cut the flesh away from the pit. Slice the flesh into twelve 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Add the bananas and mangoes to the butter sauce, tossing to coat. Grill the bananas and mangoes over low heat, without turning, until grill marks are visible -about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To assemble: If not already done, fold the WHIPPED cream into he custard cream. Place a layer of pastry on each plate. Spoon some custard cream on top. Place a piece of banana and a piece of mango on the cream. Top with another rlayer of pastry and repeat. Add a third pastry layer on top Put powdered sugar and cinnamon in a small sieve and dust the tops of the Napoleons by tapping on the side of the sieve. Serve immediately.