Recipe by Shawn C
This lasagna was a main dish at my sister's restaurant. Everyone who eats its raves about it. The sauce freezes well.
Top Review by lovescolts
Yes, this lasagna IS to die for! This will be my official lasagna recipe from now on. The sauce has a nice flavor & the pasta & filling are juicy. FOR ALL CHEFS & REVIEWERS....DO NOT HESITATE TO TRY THIS DISH! THANKS!!!!!
- 1⁄4 gallon milk
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground veal or 1 lb ground venison
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (small dices)
- 2 large carrots (small dices)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup merlot (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cansof crushed roma tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- barilla lasagna sheet
- 1 lb low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- BECHEMEL Sauce: In pot melt butter and add enough flour to create a consistency thicker than pancake batter.
- Bring another pot with milk almost to a boil.
- Once milk has heated through, add milk all at one time to the flour mixture, beating with wire whisk the whole time.
- Bring back to boil then remove from heat and add salt and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- MEAT SAUCE: Brown meat half way then add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and sweat vegetables.
- Add all other ingredients and cook a minimum of 2 hours at a low (barely) boil.
- ASSEMBLY: Use Barilla lasagna sheets!
- (1 box serves 6-8 in this recipe).
- Boil some water and slide them in for 5 minutes then drain and rinse well with cold water, they need to be soft and flexible.
- Ladle some meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Then lay a layer of pasta sheets on top of that.
- Then spread bechemel sauce over pasta, layer of pasta, spread both cheeses on that layer, layer of pasta, spread more bechemel, layer pasta then cheeses until all is used.
- Bake in 350° oven until brown on top (just a little brown).
- Remove and let set for 5 minutes.
- Cut serving squares and place on plates then ladle a large ladle of meat sauce atop the lasagna.
- Garnish with lots or parmesan cheese.