1/2 Photos of Naples - It's to Die for - Lasagna
3 hrs 5 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Shawn C's Note:
This lasagna was a main dish at my sister's restaurant. Everyone who eats its raves about it. The sauce freezes well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground veal or 1 lb ground venison
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (small dices)
- 2 large carrots (small dices)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup merlot (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cans of crushed roma tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- barilla lasagna sheet
- 1 lb low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese
- 1BECHEMEL Sauce: In pot melt butter and add enough flour to create a consistency thicker than pancake batter.
- 2Bring another pot with milk almost to a boil.
- 3Once milk has heated through, add milk all at one time to the flour mixture, beating with wire whisk the whole time.
- 4Bring back to boil then remove from heat and add salt and nutmeg.
- 5Set aside.
- 6MEAT SAUCE: Brown meat half way then add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and sweat vegetables.
- 7Add all other ingredients and cook a minimum of 2 hours at a low (barely) boil.
- 8ASSEMBLY: Use Barilla lasagna sheets!
- 9(1 box serves 6-8 in this recipe).
- 10Boil some water and slide them in for 5 minutes then drain and rinse well with cold water, they need to be soft and flexible.
- 11Ladle some meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- 12Then lay a layer of pasta sheets on top of that.
- 13Then spread bechemel sauce over pasta, layer of pasta, spread both cheeses on that layer, layer of pasta, spread more bechemel, layer pasta then cheeses until all is used.
- 14Bake in 350° oven until brown on top (just a little brown).
- 15Remove and let set for 5 minutes.
- 16Cut serving squares and place on plates then ladle a large ladle of meat sauce atop the lasagna.
- 17Garnish with lots or parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Naples - It's to Die for - Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (831 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 647.8
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.8 g
- Cholesterol 143.0 mg
- Sodium 2045.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 43.2 g