Cook2 hrs 45 mins
This lasagna was a main dish at my sister's restaurant. Everyone who eats its raves about it. The sauce freezes well.
- 1⁄4 gallon milk
- 1⁄4 cup real butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground veal or 1 lb ground venison
- 2 large onions (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (small dices)
- 2 large carrots (small dices)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup merlot (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 2 (28 ounce) cansof crushed roma tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- barilla lasagna sheet
- 1 lb low moisture part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- parmesan cheese
- BECHEMEL Sauce: In pot melt butter and add enough flour to create a consistency thicker than pancake batter.
- Bring another pot with milk almost to a boil.
- Once milk has heated through, add milk all at one time to the flour mixture, beating with wire whisk the whole time.
- Bring back to boil then remove from heat and add salt and nutmeg.
- Set aside.
- MEAT SAUCE: Brown meat half way then add onions, garlic, carrots, celery and sweat vegetables.
- Add all other ingredients and cook a minimum of 2 hours at a low (barely) boil.
- ASSEMBLY: Use Barilla lasagna sheets!
- (1 box serves 6-8 in this recipe).
- Boil some water and slide them in for 5 minutes then drain and rinse well with cold water, they need to be soft and flexible.
- Ladle some meat sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Then lay a layer of pasta sheets on top of that.
- Then spread bechemel sauce over pasta, layer of pasta, spread both cheeses on that layer, layer of pasta, spread more bechemel, layer pasta then cheeses until all is used.
- Bake in 350° oven until brown on top (just a little brown).
- Remove and let set for 5 minutes.
- Cut serving squares and place on plates then ladle a large ladle of meat sauce atop the lasagna.
- Garnish with lots or parmesan cheese.
Yes, this lasagna IS to die for! This will be my official lasagna recipe from now on. The sauce has a nice flavor & the pasta & filling are juicy. FOR ALL CHEFS & REVIEWERS....DO NOT HESITATE TO TRY THIS DISH! THANKS!!!!!
My sister made this recipe for a family dinner and I had to get it from her - it was sooooo good. So good in fact that my daughter who is so picky said "Actually this is really good" and cleaned her plate! All I have to say is THANK YOU!