Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
My mom is taking me to Sonoma for my birthday this year. I found this recipe and plan to make it for my DH before I go, so he too can experience a taste of the cuisine. I have not made this yet, and will edit/update when I do. From BonAppetit July 2003
- 1 (750 ml) bottle cabernet sauvignon wine
- 1⁄4 cup shallot, minced
- 9 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 slices focaccia bread, squares cut in half horizontally
- 8 slices tomatoes
- 2 cups arugula
- Boil wine and shallots in a medium saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 20 minute.
- Add 1 Tbs butter and 2 tsp brown sugar and whisk until butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining 8 Tbs butter and the rosemary together; set aside.
- Heat grill to medium high heat.
- Mix beef, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the wine-shallot mixture in a large bowl.
- Form meat into 4 (5-inch) squares or rounds.
- Grill burgers until brown on bottom, about 3 minute.
- Turn burgers and brush with wine-shallot mixture.
- Continue grilling burgers until cooked to desired doneness, turning and brushing occasionally with wine-shallot mixture, about 4 min longer for medium-rare.
- Sprinkle with cheese after last turn and grill until cheese melts.
- Spread cut sides of focaccia with the rosemary butter.
- Grill cut side down, until golden, about 2 minute.
- Arrange bread, grilled side up, on plates and top the bottom halves with the burgers.
- Add the tomatoes and arugula cover with the top halves of the focaccia and serve.