Recipe by That Napa Chicken Ranch
This is actually a variation on Racheal Rays Po Boy sandwiches but done our way. Using french bread loaves makes it an easy way to serve a crowd. The Sammi Sauce recipe can be found in our cookbook and adds just the right touch to these very delicious sandwiches!
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, for shrimp
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal (clerici ranch grind is best)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 loaves French bread (the long thcik loaves about 14-inch long by 4 inches wide)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (mix in juice of one lime if desired)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your deep fryer to about 375 degrees adding oil to the maximum level. You can also heat about one quart of oil to a dutch oven if you don't have a deep fryer).
- Have ready a metal cake rack over a cookie sheet to drain the shrimp on.
- Beat egg and milk together. Salt shrimp then soak in milk batter.
- Mix together the flour, cornmeal and seasonings in a deep glass pie plate.
- Using tongs, coat about 8 shrimp at a time but leave them in the pie plate.
- Add breaded shrimp to the hot oil and fry them for only a couple of minutes until golden brown. Set aside on the draining rack and fry the rest of the shrimp in batches.
- Slice the bread loaves in half lengthwise and spread the cut sides with the mayonaise. Grill these loaves for a couple of minutes under the broiler until browned.
- Spread the bread with a layer of Sammi Sauce and divide the shrimp between the tow sandwiches. Slice into pieces and serve!