Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a very hearty (and spicy if you want) sauce for pasta on those nights that you want to do without the meat sauces. Enjoy with some fresh foccacia bread and a glass of chiani for a heavenly meal!
For the Sauce
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup vegetable broth (or substitute chicken broth)
- teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the Pasta
- 8 ounces spaghetti
- 3 -4 sprigs parsley, minced (optional)
- parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a dutch oven (or large pot) saute the onion, carrot, garlic and the thyme in olive oil until lightly browned.
- Add the lentils and the rest of the ingredients (except the spaghetti and the parsley) along with the broth. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti. Toss the cooked pasta with a little fresh olive oil and the parsley if desired.
- Pour the sauce over the spaghetti. Garnish with additional parsley and parmesan cheese, if desired.