Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great when you need to satisfy that chocolate craving- and eat breakfast at the same time! The chocolate chips melt on the top of the hot pancakes to form a delightful syrup.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- chocolate chips (to garnish)
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and cocoa together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk and oil. Add the liquids to the flour mixture and stir just until mixed- too much stirring will make the batter tough so be careful.
- Cook pancakes on a well oiled non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Cook until bubbles surface on the pancakes, then flip until done. Place on plates and sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Serve with whipped cream on top if desired.
This is a dense pancake with a nice flavor and richness from the added chocolate chips. I was careful to follow the instructions to not overbeat the batter so the cakes would not be "tough", however, I did have issues with the batter being extremely thick. I had to add a bit more buttermilk to thin it out enough to get it off the spoon and into the skillet. Made for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef.