Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This slaw was originally inspired by one prepared by Bobby Flay on Food TV. I've tinkered with it a bit and added a bit more fusion between Asian and Southwestern flavors. This side salad is ideal for picnics and barbecues as it contains no mayonnaise.
- 1 large jicama, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 napa cabbage, finely shredded (about 4-5 cups)
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 large red pepper, finely julienned
- 118.29 ml freshly squeezed lime juice
- 29.58 ml rice vinegar
- 29.58 ml dried ancho chile powder
- 29.58 ml honey
- 9.85 ml sesame oil
- 44.37 ml canola oil (use olive oil if you prefer)
- 59.14 ml water
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 59.14 ml finely chopped cilantro leaf
- Place jicama, cabbage, pepper and carrots in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, ancho powder, honey, and oils in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Pour the dressing over the salad mixture and toss to coat well.
- Fold in the cilantro.
- Let salad sit in fridge for 20 minutes and serve.
I am soooo sorry....this didn't work out for us. I'm not sure why. It got limp sitting in the dressing - did I cut the napa cabbage to finely? I couldn't get jicama in Dover-Foxcroft, Maine so I used a Red Delicious apple & it worked fine. the overall taste/texture didn't appeal to anyone. I'm going to try it again & tweak the dressing a smidge & dress it at the last minute. I will report back. Again, my apologies for the less than stellar review, Toni. :(
Great salad! I substituted one finely diced jalapeno for the red pepper and was great. Thanks for sharing.
This was a very nice side dish. Went great with the chicken I served.