Recipe by That Napa Chicken Ranch
We had accidentally purchased strip steaks instead of flank steak- so after searching out recipes, we developed this tasty adaptation. Be sure to cut the cooked steak into very thin slices as this meat can be chewy- but sooooo delicious! (Preparation time includes the marinating!)
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb skirt steak
- 8 large flour tortillas, warmed on the grill
- finely shredded red cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the onion, the garlic, lime juice, cumin & salt in a blender until pureed.
- Cut the skirt steak into approximately 3 inch sections. Place the skirt steak pieces into a medium sized glass baking dish. Pour this mixture over the skirt steak- turn the meat in the mix to be sure that it is coated well on both sides.
- Cover the meat and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Heat the grill to medium high heat.
- Remove the steak from the marinade and using a clean kitchen towel, blot the excess onion mixture off the meat. Brush oil over both sides of the steak & then lay it over the hottest part of the grill.
- Grill until browned - about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes per side.
- Cut each piece of the steak into thin strips across the grain.
- Sprinkle the meat with lime juice.
- Serve with a plate of tortillas and let each diner fill as they choose!