Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is a little less sweet than most of the Zucchini Relish recipes that we have found. With our temperate climate, we need any excuse to use up all the zucchini that we grow and this is it!
- 10 cups zucchini, chopped
- 4 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 5 tablespoons salt
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 1⁄2 cups apple cider vinegar
- Prepare your equipment for canning: You need to sterilize the jars and put the lids into boiling water. You also need to have a water bath canner handy with enough water boiling in it to cover your jars by about 1".
- Chop the vegetables very finely- I use a food grinder that attaches to my Kitchenaid mixer.
- Combine zucchini with the onion, and salt in a large covered bowl. Let this stand overnight.
- Rinse the zucchini mix and drain well. Add to a large Dutch oven along with the peppers, spices and the vinegar.
- Cook just until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Do not overcook.
- Carefully pour this mix into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace.
- Carefully wipe the rims down several times to make sure that all relish is removed from the are where the cap will be sealing on the jar.
- Place the boiled lids onto the jars. Process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath- the timer starts after the water returns to a boil with the jars in the water.
- Yield: 16 half-pints.