What if cabbage was the most important thing on the plate? Chef Nobu Matsuhisa came up with this meatless dish to answer that very question.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice off bottom inch of cabbage at stem end.
- 2Remove one layer of leaves and discard.
- 3Carefully remove remaining leaves until you get to smaller central ones.
- 4Reserve smaller leaves for another use.
- 5You should have about 12 large leaves.
- 6Place one leaf on work surface.
- 7Top with another leaf facing the opposite direction, that is, with cut end at leafy end.
- 8Dust with pinch of sea salt.
- 9Continue stacking leaves, alternating their direction, and dusting every second leaf with salt.
- 10Place stack four inches from end of a 16-inch sheet of foil.
- 11Lift end of foil over stack of leaves and tightly roll, wrapping the foil as you go.
- 12Be careful that foil is wrapped around only the outside of cabbage roll.
- 13Tightly tie roll with butcher's cord at 1 1/2- to 2-inch intervals.
- 14You should be able to make 6 ties.
- 15Use large knife to slice about 1/2 inch from ends of roll, so cut sides are smooth.
- 16Then slice roll in sections between cord.
- 17You should have 6 thick rounds of cabbage, each wrapped in foil and tied.
- 18Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- 19Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in skillet large enough to hold rolls, a cut side down, in single layer.
- 20Cook rolls over medium-low heat until lightly browned on bottom and steam rises from center, 5 to 8 minutes.
- 21Turn rolls and cook on other side until lightly browned.
- 22Remove rolls to baking dish and place in oven.
- 23While cabbage is cooking, mix yuzu juice, soy sauce and grapeseed oil together and set aside.
- 24Place remaining olive oil in skillet.
- 25Add mushrooms and sauté over medium-high heat until softened and lightly browned.
- 26Remove from heat.
- 27If not serving dish immediately, place mushrooms in small baking dish in oven to keep warm.
- 28To serve, remove cabbage from oven and, keeping rolls standing on a cut side, transfer to serving dish or put each on a salad plate.
- 29Snip cords and carefully remove foil.
- 30Cabbage rolls should hold together neatly.
- 31Sprinkle cabbage rolls with bonito flakes.
- 32Toss mushrooms with yuzu mixture, place a few mushroom pieces on top of each cabbage roll and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Napa Cabbage Steak
Serving Size: 1 (41 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 86.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.7 g
- Protein 0.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: