Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is our family's version. I'm posting it here for my kids, who like to make it now that they live away from home.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄3 cups ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 hamburger buns
- Brown ground beef with onion, pepper and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients (except hamburger buns).
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, lightly toast bun halves in 350º oven, cut side up.
- Serve a generous heap of meat on each bun.
Been using this since you(Pannan) showed me how easy it was and that I didn't need a "canned" sauce. Right now I am creating a recipe album for Miss Alyssa and she loves this recipe! So, you will literally be a STAR in her book! Thanks for sharing again and again.
I'm terribly sorry, but I found this recipe to be almost sickly sweet. Even though I doubled the vegetables, reduced the ketchup to 1 cup, added a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes along with about 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, and omitted the brown sugar, I still found it too sweet. On the positive side, I can see that kids would love it!
BF said yummy baby!!!! I have always made a recipe that called for too many ingredients so thought I would try this 1. I used 1/2 tbsps balsamic vinegar (due to my taste preference) and also added 2 tsps of white sugar, for those of you that thought this may be a little too tart just add more sugar. This is awesome and will now be my new sloppy recipe. Congrats and thanks a bunch