Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a basic meringue kiss recipe which is easy to do and open for experiments. I started with a simple vanilla flavor kiss and have made lots of different flavors. These have always been a hit for the holidays. NOTE: Depending on your oven, you may have to use a lower temperature than suggested so the kisses don't brown too much on the bottom.
- Preheat oven to 250º degrees.
- Beat egg white & salt with mixer until frothy or fluffy. Add sugar very slowly while still using mixer.
- Beat until a stiff peak forms and sugar is dissolved.
- Fold in by hand vanilla.
- Spoon (teaspoonful) onto lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake 40-45 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before removing to cooling rack.
- Store in airtight container.
- You can add (1/4 cup per batch or desired amount) chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, mint chips, etc. Fold these in last.
- You can also substitute the vanilla with any flavor extract. I have used cherry extract with chocolate chips. These were excellent.
- You can also add a couple drops of food coloring to the desired flavor of the kiss. If you use a drop of yellow with a drop of red to get an orange color you can use chocolate chips to have a Halloween kiss.
- I don't suggest using wet ingredients such as maraschino cherries, pineapple, etc.
These kisses were very delicious and I will definitely make them during the holidays. They will make a great addition to the desserts. I am diabetic so I might try to see if I can substitute xylitol since they are very sweet. My hubby loved them just the way they are!