2 hrs 30 mins
Nan's Best Dark Fruitcake:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups seedless raisins
- 3 cups sultana raisins
- 1 cup glace cherries, chopped
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- 1 cup nuts, chopped, lightly toasted (that have been in the oven)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/4 teaspoon mace
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup dark rum
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup jam (strawberry is best)
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1With 3/4 cup of the dark rum, pour over chopped fruit and nuts. Cover and let soak for at least 48 hours. The fruit should be stirred once a day or so.
- 2Keep remaining rum for after baking directions -- see below.
- 3Stir flour, salt, baking soda and spices together Set aside.
- 4In separate bowl, Cream shortening and brown sugar together till fluffy.
- 5Add eggs and beat one at a time.
- 6Add molasses, jam and mix well.
- 7Blend in dry ingredients. Fold in fruit.
- 8Prepare your round fruit cake pan by oiling and line pan with paper. Oil and flour again lightly.
- 9Ensure the top of the paper is about 1 inch or so above the top of the pan.
- 10Fill prepared pans 2/3 full.
- 11Bake in a slow oven 300°F for 2 hours or so.
- 12Place a shallow pan of hot water on the bottom rack of the oven during baking. This will ensure the cake stays moist. Remove this pan of water during the last hour of baking.
- 13Cool completely before removing paper.
- 14Storing and mellowing of fruit Cake: Wrap a cheese cloth that has been soaked in the remaining 1/4 cup of rum over the cake, covering it completely.
- 15Next wrap the cake and cheesecloth in aluminum foil wrap.
- 16Place in a cool place. Taste of cake is best when stored for 4 weeks or so! I've often brushed egg white over the cake, rolled out almond paste and laid it over the top and sides of cake. I then ice it. Everyone raves! NOTE: I've often doubled the recipe for a larger cake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nan's Best Dark Fruitcake:
Serving Size: 1 (51 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 50
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.9
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 25.3 mg
- Sodium 62.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 19.8 g
- Protein 2.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: