Recipe by Elizabeth Fullerton
This recipe was my grandmother's passed down to my father and then to me. It's a simple soup that is my favorite comfort food.
Top Review by Elizabeth Fullerton
If you want to make the recipe a little richer, add cream instead of milk or add a dollop of sour cream to it when serving. Sometimes I will add some basil when I'm feeling fiesty.
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes
- 1 gallon tomato juice
- 4 large potatoes
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1⁄2-1 cup milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice potatoes and onions.
- Place in soup pot and just cover with water.
- Add butter.
- Boil until potatoes are tender but not too soft.
- Add tomatoes and juice.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in milk, salt and pepper.
- Serve with hot corn bread.