Gosh, there are so many Mac and Cheese recipes! I looked at many before deciding to post my favorite recipe from childhood. My grandmother makes this all of the time. My girls and I love it but the Hubby doesn't like it much. "Too bland" he says. Great comfort food!
- Boil pasta according to package in salted water.
- For firmer pasta reduce boiling time by a few minutes.
- Grease a deep casserole dish (I use a spray).
- Place a layer of macaroni, enough to cover the bottom, in the casserole dish.
- Add a layer of cheese slices covering the macaroni.
- Very lightly season with salt and pepper (I actually skip this and we add salt and pepper to taste on our individual servings).
- Repeat these layers until you are out of pasta.
- Pour milk over the casserole until the milk almost reaches the top of the casserole dish (It doesn't take much because the dish is already full of pasta and cheese).
- Bake covered for about 45 minutes to an hour in a 350 degree oven.
- You'll know it is finished cooking when the milk is no longer liquid.
- Sometimes I add leftover ham chunks to the layers.
- Cook time and servings are approximate!