Recipe by staceyelee
This is one of the many recipes from my grandmothers cookbook. She passed away in May of 2005 and I am recording her wonderful recipes for my family and the many generations that will follow. I hope you enjoy her recipes as much as we do. I have not made each one yet-so cooking time and servings may vary. Blessings from FOURMRANCHWIFE in Texas. (THIS IS ONE OF MY PERSONAL FAVORITES!)
- 2 lbs fresh peeled shrimp
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 3 quarts water
- 2 cups okra, cut up and cooked
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- basic roux
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the Basic Roux: Heat 3/4 cup oil in a iron skillet. When oil is hot, gradually add 1 cup flour, stirring continuously until well mixed. Lower heat and continue to stir until chocolate brown. When roux is chocolate brown remove from skillet and set aside. If it remains in skillet it will continue to cook and get to dark.
- In a large pot-not a black iron pot-saute onion,celery,bell pepper, garlic and okra in butter for about 10 minutes. Add roux, water and worcestershire.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Add all other ingredients, except for parsley. Cook for 1 more hour.Adjust seasoning if needed- salt and pepper are to taste. Add parsley.
- Serve over rice.
- This is better the next day- if there is any left. This says serves 6 - Nanny usually made a double batch.