Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a family tradition. My great aunt use to call it "Pitza". I make this for family get- togethers. It does have a sweeter sauce, you can adjust the sugar based on your own preference. We also prefer eating this when it is actually cold.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 fresh yeast cake
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 4 tablespoons oregano leaves
- kosher salt
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In small sauce pot combine olive oil and chopped onion. Cook onion until clear and then add tomato puree and sugar. Stir together and turn off heat and let sit.
- In a small measuring cup dissolve yeast cake in 3 tablespoons of warm water. In a larger bowl take 6 cups of flour and make a well in the center add remaining water, add a pinch of salt. Stir yeast mixture into flour. Knead together gently and turn into a greased bowl. Let rise in warm area until doubled.Do not punch dough down. Pull gently and spread dough into into 2 - 11x20 cookie sheets that are rubbed with a good greasing of olive oil. Sprinkle dough with kosher salt and bake for 8 minutes. Push dough down with a fork and then spread tomato sauce over dough. Spread with combination of two cheeses and sprinkle with Oregano leaves. Bake until cheese starts to brown. Let cool completely, cut into squaresand serve at room temperature.