Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This has been in our family for years and years. I've included stand time in the preparation time.
Make and share this Nanny's Green Chow-Chow recipe from Food.com.
- Clean and wash tomatoes, apples and peel onions.
- In a Dutch oven slice and layer the 3 ingredients.
- After each complete layer, sprinkle a little salt and let stand overnight.
- Next Day:
- Drain and put ingredients back into pot and add sugar, spices (tied in clean cheesecloth) and add vinegar to cover 3/4 of ingredients.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Check often to make sure mixture does not burn.
- When thickened put into sterilized jars and seal.
- Process for 20 minutes.
This is very close to the chow my grandmother used to make. I enjoyed the texture and flavor of this. Thanks so much.