Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
This has been in our family for years and years. I've included stand time in the preparation time.
Make and share this Nanny's Green Chow-Chow recipe from Food.com.
- Clean and wash tomatoes, apples and peel onions.
- In a Dutch oven slice and layer the 3 ingredients.
- After each complete layer, sprinkle a little salt and let stand overnight.
- Next Day:
- Drain and put ingredients back into pot and add sugar, spices (tied in clean cheesecloth) and add vinegar to cover 3/4 of ingredients.
- Cook over low to medium heat for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring often with a wooden spoon.
- Check often to make sure mixture does not burn.
- When thickened put into sterilized jars and seal.
- Process for 20 minutes.
This is very close to the chow my grandmother used to make. I enjoyed the texture and flavor of this. Thanks so much.