1/3 Photos of Nanny's Famous Buns (Rolls)
This roll recipe came from my mother-in-law about 5 years before she passed on, which she had learned from her mother. When I asked to learn how to make bread from her, I did not know the gift that she would eventually share with me in the form of these wonderfully light rolls, and I think it a shame to keep the recipe all to myself. Thank you, Elaine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl, mix 1/2 cups of the flour, 1/2 cups sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups boiling water. Stir until smooth. Let cool.
- 2Meanwhile dissolve 2 teaspoons sugar in 1 cup warm water. Sprinkle in 2 tablespoons yeast, let stand 10 minutes or until good and foamy.
- 3In a separate bowl beat 4 eggs until foamy. Add to cooled flour mixture.
- 4Stir yeast mix into the flour mixture.
- 5Using an electric mixer, beat in 4 cups of flour, one cup at a time until smooth.
- 6By hand, mix in enough of the remaining flour to make a firm, but not sticky dough.
- 7Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- 8Grease a large bowl, and place the dough inside, turning to grease the dough all over.
- 9Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled (about one hour).
- 10Punch down dough.
- 11Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead into 48 equal rolls.
- 12Place on well greased cookie sheets 2 inches apart and let rise 1 1/2 - 2 hours (until more than doubled in size. Dough will be very light).
- 13Bake 375ºF for 15-20 minutes.
- 14Brush hot roll tops with a little butter after they come out of the oven.
- 151Extra info: Humidity always plays a key in making bread or rolls. Rainy days require more flour than sunny, dry days. Bread rolls and Loaves are done when inserted thermometer reads 190ºF.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nanny's Famous Buns (Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.7
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 47.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g