Recipe by BlondeChick80
This recipe comes from my grandmother's collection. They are a family favorite amongst all my cousins.
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour, separated in half
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups currants, chopped
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- candy sprinkles or sugar crystals, any type of things to decorate with you want
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add egg and vanilla.
- In separate bowl sift together 1 cup flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to creamed mixture. It will be probably be fairly sticky.
- Using food processor or blender (or chopper) chop up the currants. You will know it's ready when it appears to be just a large sticky ball. Chop walnuts into very fine pieces. and then add both to mixture and mix well.
- Add remaining flour as needed to the batter to make a stiffer consistency for rolling the cookies. (might be easier to put flour on surface and knead into batter).
- Pat down with hands into disc, and then roll out for use with cookie cutters until about 1/4" thick, flouring surfaces and roller. Decorate as desired.
- bake at 375 degrees for 7 minutes.