Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is one of the many recipes from my grandmothers cookbook. She passed away in May of 2005 and I am recording her wonderful recipes for my family and the many generations that will follow. I hope you enjoy her recipes as much as we do. I have not made each one yet-so cooking time and servings may not be posted on some. Blessings from FOURMRANCHWIFE in Texas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 (10 ounce) packagechopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 (8 ounce) jar Cheese Whiz
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- In a large skillet over medium heat sauté the onion, celery and broccoli in the butter. Stir in the cheese, soup and evaporated milk.
- Place rice in a greased 8-inch baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over rice.
- Bake, uncovered @ 325° for 25-30 minutes.
I mixed the cheese sauce and rice together before baking. Added a good dose of salt and pepper, and sprinkled sharp cheddar on top. Very creamy. Thanks for sharing.
Great casserole! My mom made a very similar one in the microwave and it had a can of chicken breast in it. I did use brown rice instead of the white and loved the bit of crunch from the celery. Next time I will add more Chez Whiz or throw in some shredded cheddar cheese for a little more cheese flavor. This will be a family favorite for sure!
Wow! What memories. This is the broccoli and rice casserole that my mother always made. I remember the first time she made it because I'd never seen Cheez Whiz before then. It's been made dozens of times since and is still hard to beat.