Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
My mom made these for dinner the other night and we all loved them. Thick, with the perfect amount of sweetness.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook bacon until fat begins to render out.
- Add onion and cook 1 minute.
- Add mustard, molasses, sugar and chutney and heat through.
- Add pepper to taste.
- Stir in beans then pour mixture into a large, lightly greased baking dish.
- Bake 30 minutes covered.
- Remove from oven and stir in bourbon.
- Bake uncovered 15-20 minutes longer until beans are bubbly and thick.
I didn't have any bourbon so I got the okay from Flower7 to use a dark aged rum. This dish is just so full of flavour and the mango chutney while a bit unexpected just puts it over the top!
These have nice flavor and were an interesting change from the usual baked beans. I added some corn and served with rice. Thanks for sharing!
I halved this recipe and used dark rum as well. I also used a very ripe mango as suggested in the ingredient list. This is very easy to put together, and very unique in flavor. Mine turned somewhat soft when I removed it from the oven, so I added the rum then let is sit out for the 10 extra minutes. The uniqueness of this recipe is that it tastes like mango flavored refried beans, and it's really good! I can definitely see serving it as part of a Carribean menu plan. ~Buddha