Recipe by Vicki G.
This is my grandmother's recipe which I grew up on. It is my personal favorite, and without a doubt--the ultimate comfort food. I even love to eat it cold. It is one of my favorite side dishes, since it goes especially well with chicken and pork. Note: this is not a creamy mac & cheese recipe.
Top Review by Pinot Grigio
This is the BOMB! Made it for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. Did a double batch & both times used part sharp Cheddar and part Gruyere and only 2 eggs & cooked in my Grandmother's vintage casserole dish. Felt like I stepped back in time. Seriously the best. Best to eat at once - like that will be a problem. You will have to tear yourself away from it. Thanks for sharing your recipe Vicki G. We all thought it was just the BEST!!!
- 1 (8 ounce) package elbow macaroni
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions and drain.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the hot macaroni and 2 cups of the cheese, letting the cheese melt a bit.
- Stir in the milk, eggs salt and pepper.
- Pour into a lightly greased one quart casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup of cheese on top.
- Top with some paprika for color.
- Bake uncovered for about 1 hour at 350°F until golden, and brown on the sides (if using glass dish).