Recipe by Diana #2
Along the same lines as some others here, but with a few different ingredients. These muffins are very moist and flavourful. And yes...the batter will stay fresh for quite a while. The recipe calls for the addition of raisins, but I have also added cranberries, chopped dates, coconut and a variety of nuts....but not all at the same time. ;)
- 5 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 cups natural bran (not cereal)
- 2 cups all-bran cereal, Bran Buds or flakes work well
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- 1 quart buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup applesauce
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1 cup raisins (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, (I use my stock pot) mix together flour, sugar, bran, and bran cereal. Set aside.
- In another bowl, blend together, soda, buttermilk, oil, applesauce, eggs and molasses. Add to dry ingredients. The batter will be stiff.
- Stir in the raisins, or whatever you may have.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- To Bake:.
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Line muffin tins with paper if desired and fill 3/4's full.
- Bake for 20 minutes.