Recipe by kzbhansen
My granmother was German and made this cake and I have very fond memories of eating this with her at the dining room table talking away the troubles of a young girls day. LOL Lots of butter and eggs. Not a low cal low carb cake but its soooo good. I had to sit and watch her make this stopping her to trya and measure this recipe out. This makes 1 bundt cake or 6 muffins.
Top Review by KHOSTheory
I followed the recipe exactly. Read it several times because the batter turned out so thick I couldn't pour it. It turned out like a brick of sugar. Not real sure what happened.
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs, seperated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together the 3/4 pounds of butter and sugar, mix well.
- Add 6 egg yolks, and vanilla and beat well.
- Add grated lemon rind and beat.
- Add flour sifted with 1 heaping teaspoon baking powder.
- Beat 6 egg whites until stiff and fold into the above mixture. Reserve 2 cups of this mixture to make the chocolate mixture.
- Chocolate mixture:.
- In bowl Combine 2 Tablespoons sugar, 3 heaping teaspoons cocoa, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 2 heaping tablespoons of sour cream, and 2 cups of the above batter to make the chocolate mixture.
- Grease bundt pan well add white batter then chocolate batter alternately until the pan is over 1/2 full.
- Bake at 325 on lowest rack in the oven for 1 hour until brown.
- When cooled you can frost to your liking or sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- We ate it as is and it was wonderful.