Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a large pound cake with a slightly crunchy top that my grandmother used to make. It's delicious topped with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300-325 degrees.
- Cream the shortening& sugar together in mixer.
- Add the eggs to the mixture, one at a time and continue to cream.
- Mix the salt& baking soda with the sifted flour.
- Add 1 cup of flour mixture to the creamed sugar& shortening, then 1/3 cup buttermilk.
- Repeat adding the flour and buttermilk until all is used.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Pour into large tube pan and bake for 1 hour, 20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.