Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is an old recipe from my mother's collection. We loved it years ago, and we still love it today!
- 3 large tart apples
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- Peel and core 3 tart apples and slice thinly.
- Butter an 8" x 8" baking dish.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with half of the apples.
- Pour 1/2 cup water over apples.
- Sprinkle with sugar for sweetness if desired.
- Cover with remaining apples.
- Combine the flour, light brown sugar, and chopped pecans.
- Cream butter and work into mixture gradually until mixed.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, and mix thoroughly.
- Spread mixture evenly over apples, pressing down at the edges and cutting several gashes to permit steam to escape.
- Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.
- Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream!
I'm sorry I have never written a review for this, I have made it numerous times!!! It's the only apple crisp recipe I use! I don't like oatmeal in mine, and the topping on this is chewy in some spots (sound the outside, of course) and melt in your mouth in others! Thanks for sharing this GREAT recipe, MustangMom!!!