Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a recipe my mum used to make for us on winter nights - her mum made it for them so its almost a tradition! - Is wonderful with ice cream or cream and is easy enough for a weeknight family dessert but fancy enough for a dinner party dessert too!
- grease a pie dish.
- preheat oven
- peel, core and halve apples across ways (so that they are circles of apple).
- put apples cust side up in dish.
- in seporate bowl rub butter into flour
- add sugar and salt to this mixture then water.
- mix lightly (it will be lumpy - thats ok!).
- then pour over apples.
- bake 35 minutes in a 180oC oven.
- *For 6 apples double the liquid and sugar becomes 1 1/4 cup.
Yummy! A nice tender apple coated in a nice thick apple flavored sauce. Made using Splenda for baking in place of sugar and baked at 355 F for 45 minutes. Put in a nice dessert dish or a martini glass with just a dot of whipped cream and you have a very nice dessert. Will be making this tasty treat again. Thanks for the post.
I was not sure what to expect either and the syrup was a bit runny so i put it in for a bit longer and it was very yummy. Nice with vanilla icecream. thanks
I wasn't quite sure whether to expect a batter or a syrup, given the amount of liquid to dry ingredients... what I got was a thick syrup over tender apples, it was a lovely recipe, very easy to make and pop in the oven while busy with the main meal. I made custard to pour over the apples, and it was well-received by the family! Thank you chefamy! Made for PAC Spring 2008