Prep 0 mins
Cook 50 mins
I came up with this recipe after making Nanking Cherry Jelly from a different recipe. This one is a little bit more tart and not as stiff as the other recipe. I used a whole apple (core and peel included) for a little extra pectin. First you have to make the juice from the cherries, then you can make jelly by straining through a cheesecloth or make jam by squeezing the pulp through a colander to get rid of the seeds.
- 16 cups nanking cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups cherry juice or 4 cups cherry pulp
- 1 apple, chopped with peel and core
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (85 ml) envelope liquid pectin
- To make Juice.
- Combine cherries, apple and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Mash mixture occasionally while cooking.
- Strain through a cheesecloth for 8 hours for jelly, or squeeze through a colander to remove the seeds for jam.
- Bring 4 cups of juice/pulp to full rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 - 4 cups of sugar, mix well.
- Bring back to a full rolling boil and boil for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 pouch of liquid pectin and lemon juice.
- Stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterile jars, process for 5 minutes or put into freezer when cool. This may take up to 24 hours to set.