Recipe by Scutch
I came up with this recipe after making Nanking Cherry Jelly from a different recipe. This one is a little bit more tart and not as stiff as the other recipe. I used a whole apple (core and peel included) for a little extra pectin. First you have to make the juice from the cherries, then you can make jelly by straining through a cheesecloth or make jam by squeezing the pulp through a colander to get rid of the seeds.
Top Review by luv2skialberta
Perfect! Used the recipe this summer when I had a bumper crop of Nanking cherries on my bush and needed to prune it. Picked 20 cups of berries and made about 10 cups of deliciousness. Used no sugar pectin and have a slightly tart jelly. Thanks for posting!
- 16 cups nanking cherries
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 cups cherry juice or 4 cups cherry pulp
- 1 apple, chopped with peel and core
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 (85 ml) envelope liquid pectin
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Juice.
- Combine cherries, apple and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Mash mixture occasionally while cooking.
- Strain through a cheesecloth for 8 hours for jelly, or squeeze through a colander to remove the seeds for jam.
- Bring 4 cups of juice/pulp to full rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- Add 3 1/2 - 4 cups of sugar, mix well.
- Bring back to a full rolling boil and boil for 4 minutes.
- Add 1 pouch of liquid pectin and lemon juice.
- Stir for 5 minutes.
- Pour into hot sterile jars, process for 5 minutes or put into freezer when cool. This may take up to 24 hours to set.