I came up with this recipe after making Nanking Cherry Jelly from a different recipe. This one is a little bit more tart and not as stiff as the other recipe. I used a whole apple (core and peel included) for a little extra pectin. First you have to make the juice from the cherries, then you can make jelly by straining through a cheesecloth or make jam by squeezing the pulp through a colander to get rid of the seeds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1To make Juice.
- 2Combine cherries, apple and water in a Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 minutes. Mash mixture occasionally while cooking.
- 3Strain through a cheesecloth for 8 hours for jelly, or squeeze through a colander to remove the seeds for jam.
- 4Bring 4 cups of juice/pulp to full rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes.
- 5Add 3 1/2 - 4 cups of sugar, mix well.
- 6Bring back to a full rolling boil and boil for 4 minutes.
- 7Add 1 pouch of liquid pectin and lemon juice.
- 8Stir for 5 minutes.
- 9Pour into hot sterile jars, process for 5 minutes or put into freezer when cool. This may take up to 24 hours to set.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nanking Cherry Jam/Jelly
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 708.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 182.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 168.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: