1/1 Photo of Nancy's Prayer Bars
1 hr 40 mins
Peggy Lynn's Note:
This recipe came from a Junior League Cookbook from Louisiana--published in the seventies--cookbook entitled"Talk About Good" similar to a Nanaimo bar--BUT...Better!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 slightly beaten egg
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped nutmeats (pecan,walnut etc.)
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 cup finely shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons dry vanilla pudding mix (not instant)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (9 3/4 ounce) Hershey chocolate candy bars (we have used a 10.2 ounce bar-and that works well)
- 1For the first layer:.
- 2Melt butter and cocoa together over hot water(double boiler) or in a saucepan over very low heat.
- 3Add powdered sugar, egg and vanilla;continue to cook for a minute or two longer over low heat.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Mix nuts,crumbs and coconut if desired and add to first mixture.
- 6Mix well and press into a 13x9 pan.
- 7Chill for about 30 minutes.
- 8For the second layer:.
- 9Melt butter, cream and vanilla.
- 10Add pudding mix and cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- 11Remove from heat and add powdered sugar.
- 12Blend and spread over first layer.
- 13For the third layer:.
- 14Melt Hershey's Chocolate Bar and spread carefully over the top.
- 15Chill for 30 minutes.
- 16Bring to room temperature before cutting into 2 inch squares*this helps to prevent crumbling.
- 17Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.Makes approx 60 bars.
- 18*****Cook time is actually chilling time****.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nancy's Prayer Bars
Serving Size: 1 (19 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 60
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.6
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 11.7 mg
- Sodium 38.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla pudding mix