Recipe by PleasantNancy
I developed this recipe after trying many varieties of Tortilla Soups in numerous Mexican restaurants around town (Austin, TX). I just couldn't find what I was looking for, so I made this up myself. It is my most requested dish from family and friends. I always make a batch when someone is under the weather and it has replaced chicken noodle as our ultimate comfort soup. Hope you enjoy!
Top Review by anozira86
Nancy, thank you so much for sharing this recipe. It is delicious! I bought a whole chicken today and wasn't sure what to do with it. I'm so glad I made this soup. My whole family liked it (kids, too!) and we have lots of leftovers for tomorrow. I substituted season salt for poultry seasoning, and I only used one green pepper. My kids don't like things too spicy so we left out the jalepeno. It still had a lot of flavor. This is a keeper!
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 -2 quart water
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons salt (I use sea salt)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (I use Knorr)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno, stems and seeds removed, chopped
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh cilantro, coursely chopped
- 1 (13 ounce) bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese or 1 cup Mexican blend cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken pieces is large heavy bottom stock pot and add enough water to cover chicken. Add poultry seasoning, chicken boullion cube, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil and cook until chicken is tender and falls off the bone.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Skim fat from chicken broth that rises to top of pot and discard (optional).
- Return broth to a low simmer and add chopped veggies, can diced of tomatoes and green chiles, chili powder, cumin and sugar.
- Remove cooled chicken from the bone, coarsely chop or shred, and add to broth. Add more salt and pepper to taste and let simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add cilantro and stir to mix.
- To serve: Place a hand full of crumbled tortilla chips in bottom of individual serving bowl, ladle soup over tortillas, top with shredded cheese and avocado slices. Garnish with tortilla chips placed around the bowl and fresh cilantro sprig. Enjoy the comforting flavors of this delicious soup!