Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My Polish grandmother never used recipes. This so simple dish was the most difficult to duplicate because of it's simplicity. There are versions of this in Polish cookbooks using bread crumbs but they lacked the slightly sweet, butter baked flavor of cracker crumbs that accent the mild taste of the yellow beans. I haven't posted this recipe before because it sounds "too simple" but it's one of my most favorite!
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh yellow wax beans
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup crushed Ritz crackers or 1⁄4 cup townhouse cracker (about 6 crackers)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Cook beans in salted boiling water until soft (not crispy) tender and drain.
- Add butter and mix until butter melts.
- Add cracker crumbs, salt and pepper, stir to combine and serve.
These beans are wonderful. My polish grandmother did them in much the same way. The only difference being she would lightly brown the cracker crumbs in a hot frying pan mixing constantly so as not to burn them. She would then mix into the hot buttered beans. The cracker crumbs get less soggy and add that extra bit of flavor. So Good. This cracker crumb recipe is also delicious on cauliflower, green beans, zucchini and broccoli. Oh so good and easy.
I had TownHouse Buttery Garlic crackers that really made the fresh off the vine wax beans taste great! Thank you.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I mixed green and yellow beans and cut back the butter a little. I took another reviewer's suggestion about adding diced onion, except I used shallots instead. Thanks for sharing.