Recipe by Island Gurl
This is a sweet and tangy relish served in New Zealand. It goes great on meats (cold leftovers) or sandwiches or just cheese and crackers. Make this when you have some nice fresh garden tomatoes. A special thank you to Heather for sharing her wonderful recipe.
Top Review by A Good Thing
Wow! What a fantastic relish!! This has a nice balance of sweet and sour with some lovely hints of curry and cayenne - but is not very spicy. Hubby loves it so much it will likely become a regular at our house. Made for ZWT5. Thanks for such a yummy relish recipe. (-:
- 3 lbs tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions
- 1 lb brown sugar (called raw sugar in NZ)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pint malt vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin tomatoes with boiling water.
- Chunk tomatoes. Peel and slice onions.
- Place onions and tomatoes in a very large pan with vinegar and all seasonings.
- Stir and boil on medium heat for 1 hour.
- If needed at the end, thicken with a couple tablespoons of flour or other thickener and a little more vinegar.
- Let cool then place in jars and store in fridge.
- These make wonderful gifts!