Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
There are a number of tamale pies on the site, but I wanted to add my Nana's recipe. She has made it as long as I can remember and my family begs me to make it as often as possible.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can black olives, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a pan.
- When browned add tomato sauce, corn, olives and chili powder.
- In a saucepan combine cornmeal, salt, milk and water.
- Heat on low until thickened, stirring frequently.
- Add cornmeal mixture to pan with ground beef mixture and mix well.
- Place in 8x8 baking dish and cook for 20 minutes.
- Top with cheese and cook 10-15 minutes until cheese is browned.