Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the simple recipe for my Nana's Chicken & Dumplings. It is always tasty!
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup ice water
- 3 (10 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 2 -3 chicken breast halves
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 -2 tablespoon ground pepper
- Boil 2-3 split chicken breasts in low-sodium chicken broth & water.
- While the chicken is boiling, lay out a large area of wax paper.
- Sift 3 cups of self-rising flour into a mixing bowl.
- Slowly pour 1 - 1/2 cups ice water into flour - roll into a dough ball. (If you have excess flour, use to coat wax paper.).
- Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to desired consistency. (I prefer thin dumplings, but you may create your dumplings in any consistency you like.).
- Cut rolled out dough with a knife or pizza cutter into small or medium squares.
- Check on your boiling chicken. Once the chicken breast separates, take the meat off the bone.
- Make sure broth is boiling and slowly place dumplings in with the chicken and broth. (Do not drop all dumplings in at once or they will stick together.).
- Season dumplings with salt and pepper to your liking. (I do not use salt since chicken broth is high in sodium, but lots of pepper really makes the dumplings taste good!).
- While the dumplings are finishing, prepare long-grain white rice using low-sodium chicken broth instead of water.